Sunday 9 August 2009

Chanel Jacket sew-along (or what-have-I-gotten-myself-into)

I've seen quite a few mentions of sew-alongs in various craft/sewing blogs that I read, and have often wondered if:

1) I'd ever be skilled enough to participate in one,
2) How one even joins up to one of these, AND
3) If group participation in something like this would actually result in me being more productive and efficient in producing something

So when I came across the opportunity to join a sew-along, I jumped at the chance! Cindy from Colour By Number, Gail from My Fabrication and Antoinette from clevergirl.org started a Go Chanel or Go Home blog dedicated to a Chanel Jacket sew-along, and I am proud to say that I am an official member.




So based on my list above, point 2 has now been addressed! What this means is yet to be seen though as point 1 will really affect my output - I honestly don't know if I have the skills to make a jacket when half the time I give up on my other little projects due to accidental hole punching of materials or just getting frustrated with mistakes and unpicking ugly stiches. So this is where point 3 comes in I guess. I hope that doing this with an online group of people really does inspire me to get going - as far as I have experienced, the online crafting community is highly supportive of one another and that bit of encouragement might really be the thing I need to get this done!

I am hoping that this doesn't turn into another pile of unfinished materials sitting in a corner - and the thought of making a jacket does kind of freak me out - but then I guess if I don't try I'll never know what I can and can't do. I think this will be a great learning experience - plus my fingers are crossed that there are others who are in the same boat who are participating.

Now the first step for me is to do some research and find a jacket pattern simple enough for my beginner skills - wish me luck - and hopefully I will have an update for you very soon :)

4 comments:

Faye Lewis said...

So glad that you have joined the sew-a-long. Your post actually expressed some of my same feelings. I do know that the people who have joined in are of varying levels (beginner, intermediate, advanced and even what I consider couture sewers.) I felt comfortable joining because I really like the ladies who initiated the challenge. They have what I call easy and uncomplicated points of view when it comes to sewing, but ladies who still produce lovely "nonthreatening" works of art. My jacket plan is to keep it as simple as possible, yet still incorporate some "Chanel" elements in my design. I want to make sure I finish the project, but don't want to be stressed in the process. I hope you enjoy this project and look to hear lots about your jacket on the blog.

Pooey said...

Hey this looks cool! Nah, I don't think a jacket is out of your reach. I wanna sew along with you but alas, no time to pick up more hobbies :(

delaïdo said...

You've inspired me to join, too! I'm very intimidated about it, but I decided to give it a shot.

SuBoo said...

Faye - thanks so much for sharing your insight on the group - I definitely feel less pressure to magically sew up something amazing having read your comment!

delaido - I'm so glad you're joining up! The more the merrier - I think it's going to be really interesting to see what people come up with.

Frannie - maybe you can pick it up when you are less busy - and maybe by then I'll be good enough to give you some tips :D