Thursday 13 May 2010

The Stitches and Craft Show

With only 2 hours of sleep, I struggled out of bed and headed off to the Stitches and Craft Show with CC. It had crossed my mind that maybe I’d be better off going on Sunday instead due to the chance of me collapsing from lack of zzz’s but CC reminded me it was Mothers’ Day that day *oops* so I decided to suck it up and head on over.

Woohoo – got my ticket!

Check it out – everyone waiting in anticipation

I have to say my first thought upon entry was that the layout of the Show wasn’t too great compared to last year’s venue. The stalls and displays were spread over 2 levels with the Studios and Craft Labs located on a 3rd level above everything else. I much preferred the layout last year where everything was on the same level, even if the Studios and Labs were in a separate building.

After withdrawing some cash in anticipation of all the goodies there, we rushed upstairs to hear a few talks in the Studios.

First up was Kathreen Ricketson of whipup blog fame. Kathreen recently put together a book called Mini Quilts - and seeing as CC has just decided to make a quilt, we thought it would be interesting to hear what she had to say.

Immediately after this we attended a session by Sandra Sanders of Pepperberry & Co. who shared advice on starting your own business. She was well presented, eloquent and really knew her subject matter inside out - so in short, a fantastic speaker! Her drive and passion really came through during the session.

The rest of the day was divvied up with wandering through the stalls selling gorgeous fabrics (Amitie and Kelani were highlights and looked pretty busy throughout the day), checking out the beautiful handmade crafts from so many talented crafters (too many to name individually so here's a list), and sitting at the Craft Bars making up a couple of things ourselves!

Handmade pincushions and photo album


Proudly displaying our handiwork

Funnily enough, other than 2 fabric scrap purchases from Pepperberry & Co., the only items I bought were Space Savers - some nifty hangers to help out my currently bulging wardrobe full of clothes I don't seem to wear. I think that being so tired and being surrounded by so many pretty things was just too much for me and all I could think of was that I needed to get my craft projects and personal wardrobe organised before any more purchases were allowed!

Needless to say, I was out like a light once I got home. My 7pm 'nap' ended at 4:30am, making it just a tad too late to catch up with some friends for Saturday night drinks, so I decided to just go back to bed. I think I deserved it after the previous night's session of tossing and turning.

Now to Save some Space with my new set of hangers...

No comments: