I recently bought a great trench coat from Jigsaw at a bargain price - I got around 90% off due to faulty buttons! The original buttons were covered with thick threads that were fraying and looking all sorts of ugly, so I decided to replace the buttons with brand new ones. Unfortunately I couldn't find any nice replacements that were the right size, so I decided to cover the buttons with some black fabric following this great tutorial from CraftPudding.
The pictures aren't too clear but I think they serve the purpose. I blame the bad lighting, and crazy flash on my camera in combination with the black material has made the black fabric blend with itself so it looks a little... black.
As you can see, the result of this little project are buttons that look fine from the front, so I am quite happy with the result. The only part I'm not too keen on is the red stitching you can see around when you lift the buttons up. This is due to the fact that I used some red embroidery thread to secure the fabric to the button around the shank - I didn't realise it would be quite as visible as it is.
I am pretty sure I can live with it - especially since it would mean that I would have to re-stitch the buttons to the coat again, and I really don't enjoy hand sewing anything!