Thursday 11 March 2010

Bikram Yoga

So I bit bullet and went. And before anyone says anything, yes, yes, I was asking for trouble.

I don't think I have sweat that much in my life.

Ever.

90 minutes of balancing, stretching and pulling my muscles every-which-way in a 39°C room (102.2°F for those of you who calculate it that way) is definitely a unique experience, and I have to say that even though I didn't really enjoy myself while I was in there, I think I'll be continuing on.


My experiences may not be quite as life changing as some of the testimonials I've read but I'd like to quote someone called Charlie Hubbard, who said

'I am still unsure why spending 90 minutes in a hot room doing Yoga produces such stillness of mind for me. I just know that it does.'

After only two sessions (and I really had to drag myself to the second one because I am naturally averse to exercise) I would have to say that I can't argue with his statement. It might be because the exercise is so challenging that all I can manage to think of for the entire 90 minutes is how my body feels and how I can push it more - I can't say for sure. All I know is that I'm feeling more balanced inside.

Now I'm just hoping my actual balance will develop in time.

Watch this space.

No comments: